Ziauddin Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery earlier known as School of Nursing was the first academic unit of Ziauddin University established in 1986 and it is recognized by Pakistan Nursing Council. In 2009, the School of Nursing was upgraded to the level of College and becomes Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery in 2020.The department offers various programs at undergraduate and graduate level to students coming from varied ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds of Pakistan. The reputation of Ziauddin Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery has grown nationally and internationally owing to the competency, critical thinking and knowledge of the graduates.
The faculty of Nursing and Midwifery aspires to be an innovative leader by preparing nurses and midwives who can excel in education, technology, research, and practice at national and international level
To prepare caring, professional and innovative nurses who will provide competent and safe quality care to the population at all levels of healthcare and would continue to strengthen education and research mandate that will uplift the nursing profession locally and globally.
The Faculty seeks to prepare nurses and midwives for exemplary leadership roles through strength in its academic programs, research and practice.
To advance this mission, ZUFONAM will:
- Respond to identified needs for nursing and midwifery in Pakistan
- Prioritize teaching, research and practice using innovative teaching strategies and state-of-the-art technology
- Provide ethical, safe and effective patient-centered care to advance its education and research mandate
- Develop collaboration and networking with other local, national and international institutions
- Offer a program at par with international quality
The faculty at Ziauddin Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery has student centered approach to teaching, which develops the future nursing leaders for hospital, community health and other organizations.
- Maintains high quality programs of learning that prepare graduates to meet the healthcare needs of hospital and the community we serve.
- Provides effective and efficient support for learning and teaching.
- Maintains effective systems of ongoing assessment and evaluation to assure high quality programs.
- Engages in the discovery of knowledge through scholarly work, teaching and service to add to the body of nursing science.
- Provides graduate nurses with the capability of pursuing higher education in any institution throughout the world in low socio-economic areas and schools where oral healthcare awareness, promotion and screening are carried out.
Clinical learning takes place in a Clifton, Kemari and North Campuses of Ziauddin University which are well established in the health care field and is supervised by Faculty members, preceptors, and Hospital management that foster students’ critical thinking and clinical skills safely.
- Educate nurses to provide exemplary nursing care appropriate to the health needs of the urban and rural population in hospitals and communities.
- Prepare students with a quality education that provides them the opportunity to achieve career success through professional distinction.
- Cultivate an environment of collaboration, excellence, discovery, and creativity for learning, scholarship and professional development.
- Be a source of inspiration for the promotion and improvement of nursing education, practice, administration and research.
- Provide leadership in the community and to the profession.
- Promote excellence in research and creative endeavors.
- Provide relevant opportunities for continuing education in nursing to competently meet the shifting societal healthcare needs and scopes of practice in Pakistan and globally.
- Produce nurse graduates who aspire to pursue higher education at institutions of learning throughout the world and pursue professional careers in nursing.
- Arrange and administer relevant opportunities for continuing education in nursing to competently meet the changing societal healthcare needs and scopes of practice in Pakistan and globally.
Ziauddin Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery aims to prepare nurses with advance knowledge, skills and attitude needed to practice efficient and skillful nursing at national and international level. Hence upon graduation, students are able to demonstrate responsibility and accountability to the nursing profession by:
- Adhering to established patterns of professional practices, which support legal, religious and ethical tenant.
- Utilizing effective critical thinking and problem solving skills in caring for the individuals, families and communities.
- Integrate scholarly skills and the use of scientific methods incritiquing, and applying existing nursing theories and research findings in selected practice settings.
- Applying effective verbal and written communications in interpersonal and professional interactions with peers, patients, families and other professionals.
- Demonstrating a high degree of competence in the use of available resources to support the identified needs of individuals, families and communities.
- Developing leadership skills to promote development of the nursing profession.
The graduates of the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery will demonstrate competence in clinical judgment, collaborate as members and leader of inter-professional healthcare teams, and utilize evidence-based interventions that embrace equity and culturally effective care to patients, families and population in a scholarly environment that is accountable, respectful, adaptive and innovative.
As caring professionals, they will promote, maintain and restore health; as well as manage illness and provide end-of-life care of diverse individuals, families, populations, and global communities.